Have you ever seen it in your shower or hair brush and wondered how you still have hair on your head? Is your scalp easily sunburned, or are you noticing thin hair around your scalp? You may be experiencing a more common problem than you can imagine.
Hair loss occurs as we age
“Half of all women will have some hair loss by the age of 50, and approximately 80 percent of women will have some hair loss by the age of 60,” says Glenis Alon, professor of clinical practice at Glinis Alon. A dermatologist at the University of California at Los Angeles and at the Ablon Skin Institute and Research Center in California.
We all know that hair loss or shaving in middle age can happen to men, but she says we don’t talk about it much about women. “It often affects women in a special way, especially in terms of self-confidence. A man like Bruce Willis can shave his head well, but it is a big issue for women, ”said Dr. Ablon.
Related: 10 Menopause and Menopause Symptoms
The good news: There are a number of treatments available for menopausal women, including Stephan S. Fabion, director of the Mayo Clinic at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and NAMS Medical Director. There are simple treatments for female pattern hair, but we should not always think that it is the cause of hair loss. Sometimes there are basic issues, ”says Dr. Faubion.
What is female hair loss?
The most common type of hair loss in women is called androgenetic alopecia, or female pattern baldness (FFL). Hair follicles become thinner, hair becomes thinner and thinner, and overall hair volume decreases. The growth rate of the hair is also shorter and a few hairs are actively growing.
“Hair loss, facial hairline usually remains the same, but there may be a widening of the scalp and thinning of the hair follicles,” says Allison Bruce, a dermatologist at the Mayo Clinic. Dr. Bruce presented information on middle-aged hair loss and new treatment options at the North American Medical Association (NAMS) Annual Meeting in Washington, DC, September 22-25, 2021.
It is important to look for the ‘root’ cause of hair loss
If you are bothered by thinning hair or hair loss, primary care is a good place to start, says Bruce. “Women’s hair loss may be the cause, but clinical trials can confirm this,” she said.
Related: 12 Ways to Lose Menopause
If hair loss does not follow the typical pattern of female hair loss, your doctor will do a few tests to find out the possible causes.
- Complete Blood Pressure (CBC) Diagnosis It is used to assess general health and can diagnose many conditions, including anemia, which can lead to hair loss.
- Thyroid function tests It can cause problems with the hair follicles associated with hair loss.
- Nutrition Review Or it may determine your diet, regular diet, and any vitamin deficiencies.
- Autoimmune disease Your doctor may diagnose conditions related to hair loss, including autoimmune diseases that may be related to hair loss, says Bruce.
- Hormonal testing Although hair loss can be caused by hormonal imbalances, phobias can be treated.
Hair loss is often caused by genetics
“It is important for women to understand why hair loss affects genetics and aging,” says Bruce. She adds that genetic factors do not necessarily mean something you inherited directly from your mother or father.
There are many different genes associated with hair loss, and this is a very complex interaction of many genes. You do not have to worry about losing your hair, especially if you are healthy, ”says Bruce.
High stress can cause hair loss
“Anxiety can be a problem and can lead to hair loss,” says Phoebe. The condition is called telogen influenza, which she says is caused by a temporary hair loss.
All hair follicles are in a cycle, and significant physical or emotional stress can push more follicles into a normal position, resulting in a significant amount of hair loss at once. “After that stress, it may take a while for the cycle to return to normal,” she says.
Related: Coping with hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms 10 celebrities said
For many women, the epidemic appears to have increased stress levels and subsequent hair loss, says Abilon. I saw a lot of patients with pre-epidemic hair loss, and I probably saw three times as much as I did a year ago. ”
Medium life hormonal changes may contribute To thin hair
Hair loss may also be linked to hormonal changes, says Phoebe. The group of hormones, which include testosterone and androstenedione, does not increase during menopause, but the ratio between estrogen and androgen changes, so you have less estrogen and have more androgen, she explains.
Testosterone metabolism DHT has been linked to male pattern baldness in research. “There is a theory that changing ratios is related to hair loss,” Fabion said.
Prevention of hair loss: Over-the-counter and over-the-counter medications may help
The simplest solution is to start using a 5 percent minoxidine that is available without a prescription, says Bruce. “The trade name is Rogain, but there are also general versions. This treatment is effective for two out of three people; She says.
She says it can be a matter of respect because you have to use it every day to maintain its benefits. There are over-the-counter medications for both men and women, but women can use the men’s formula and it is usually less expensive.
Related: New treatments for hot flashes are on the horizon – NAMS 2021
Oral contraceptives have been shown to help women with hair loss. These drugs are allowed to be used in other situations, but according to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), they are used by doctors “for FFL” without “labeling.”
Spironolactone, a diuretic, increases the risk of anemia and restores hair growth. Other drugs block the effects of androgens or low androgen levels.
These oral contraceptives should not be used by women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
Non-medicinal treatments for hair loss
While Bruce does not have a “miracle cure,” other options that can help AFF include the following.
- Platelet-enriched plasma (PRP) injection It is a process in which the patient’s blood is taken and the blood circulates in the centrifuge, where the platelets are collected. Then they stab him in the head, says Bruce. “The theory that platelets have growth factors and stimulate hair growth,” he said.
- Low level light laser These razors, helmets and other tools can be used at home without a prescription. In a few studies, radiation has been shown to stimulate hair growth (AD).
- Extras Alon recently completed a study of Nutraceutical Supplements Nutrafolut Women Balance Capsules, which contains bioactive compounds from food sources, including curcumin, ashwagandanda, pawmetoto, and tocopherol. The six-month results are published in the January 2021 issue Journal of Medicine Dermatology, And the 12-month result will be released soon, says Ablon. Researchers compared the results at 6 months and 12 months of treatment, which means that total hair growth has increased dramatically and gradually. Global hair quality standards have improved significantly, with 40 percent, no or no side effects, according to the authors. Abel is an additional manufacturer of Nutraceutical Wellness Inc. Received research support and funding.
Before starting treatment, discuss any treatment, medication or drug with your doctor and evaluate possible drug interactions or issues as well as treatment for hair loss. Do not assume that any procedure or treatment is covered by medical insurance.
Hair styling may be an option for some women with curly hair
Women with severe hair loss or severe hair loss may consider hair transplants, says Bruce. “This is an expensive and somewhat invasive process. You take hair from the donor site, especially on the back of the head, and then distribute those strands in areas where the hair is thinner. ”
Lifestyle and home remedies for curly hair
If you are self-conscious about thinning hair, there are options beyond treatment and procedures to prevent hair loss, says Bruce.
- Wear a wig, extension or hair piece. Some women find this to be a viable option.
- Adjust your hair differently. This can make the expanding part less easily recognizable.
- Try hair powder. They contain tiny fibers; They spray the powder into your hair and the fibers stick to the hair shaft, giving it more hair and hiding it where the skull is visible.
- Consult a hairdresser. Some stylists focus on lightening hair.